Friday, March 6, 2009

Birthday Cake

Today's not my birthday but Biddy made me a birthday cake anyway. He even decorated it with candles. Instead of flour and eggs, he used tiny board books. Instead of wax and wick, he used colored markers.


I was playing on my iPhone when he began baking and therefore wasn't paying much attention. When I looked up and saw he had a marker in his hand, I immediately questioned his intentions, somewhat alarmed as he was nowhere near his coloring desk AND the markers are permanent! 


He smiled sheepishly as if he was caught red-handed with his hand in the cookie jar. As his awkward smile turned into a big, wide grin, he gestured towards the coffee table and said excitedly, "I make you a birthday cake mommy." He then yelled, "Surprise!" and began singing me Happy Birthday.

He loves singing Happy Birthday. It's one of his favorite tunes.

"Happy Birthday to mommy."
"Happy Birthday to mommy."
"Happy Birthday to mommy, and daddy, and Tigger, and Gracie, and me too."
"Happy Birthday to you."

Yay! Lots of claps and kisses.

With that, we gathered up Tigger and Gracie, who were lying quite contented in the sun, and blew out the candles. They were a bit nonplussed but since it's apparently their birthday too, Biddy said they had to participate. Leaving one special piece for daddy, Gracie, Tigger, Biddy and I dug into the delicious cardboard cake not stopping until our tummies were full. 

No comments:

Post a Comment