Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ode to The Beanery

I woke in the middle of the night feeling how a turncoat might feel. At 3 am, I was kicking myself for settling down at Java Beach yesterday afternoon. How dare I try someplace new? How dare I branch out and sample another coffee shop's atmosphere? What about The Beanery? Where's the allegiance? How rude!

Yikes! I figured I better make it right today and write about Biddy's and my most favorite coffee shop in San Francisco–The Beanery on Irving (at 7th Avenue). 

Why is it our favorite? 

1. I started going there when I was pregnant for large, soy, chai lattes dubbed "choys" by the baristas. I never liked chai before The Beanery. They use an Oregon Chai and Very Vanilla Soy mixture that is absolutely delectable. I'm addicted and I'm okay with it. When Biddy was born and just home from the hospital, it was the first outing we took together. My mom, me and Biddy, wrapped up warm and safe in his sling, walked the three blocks together. He and I have ventured there almost everyday since.

2. Biddy always brings a car or two from his collection to share with Joey (his favorite guy behind the counter) and Matt (his favorite guy making the drinks). He likes to show them to Rachel too but nothing beats the boys. They shower him with attention and he loves it. When we aren't there, he asks about them wondering what they're doing and where they are. 

3. Since losing my job, it's become our morning destination. We walk down gingerly, stopping to pick up leaves and rocks along the way. When we get there, we sit down at one of the four tiny indoor tables. The Beanery is small and intimate (another reason I like it so much). Biddy orders a cinnamon raisin or sesame bagel with cream cheese or a Madeline cookie. I order my beloved choy. We sit, we eat, we talk and laugh, we people watch and watch the traffic, and I read the newspaper. 

Biddy's belly is full of bagel. Mine is warm with choy. Only the messy table remains.

4. It feels like family. We see most of the same people day in and day out. That might be because everyone is unemployed and in need of a coffee fix but I think it's the vibe. The cozy feel, the warm wooden decor, the tiny tables both inside and out, the yummy beverage concoctions, the tasty treats, the friendly and sweet staff–this is why we come. I think this is why everyone comes. 

Biddy watching for ambulances proudly wearing a Beanery sticker. 

Long live The Beanery!

No comments:

Post a Comment