Monday, February 23, 2009

Karate

Biddy wants very badly to take a karate class.

There's a place down the street that offers karate for kids and every time we walk by Biddy laments that he wants to participate. Whether the dojo sits empty or there's a class in session, as soon as we see the awning, Biddy tells me he wants to do karate. He doesn't even know what karate actually is or means or what he would "do" in class but the first time he saw kids running around the room dressed in gi belted with white obi he was hooked.

Today we walked by and there the kids were sitting in quiet uniform rows listening intently to their black belted instructor. 

"Mommy, I do karate." 
"I know Biddy, I know but you need to be three to take karate." 
"Mommy, I want do karate now," he said emphatically. 
"I know Biddy. How about this? When we get home I'll check their Web site to see whether they offer classes for two-year-olds. Okay?
"Okay."

He ran all the way home and made me run right along with him. As soon as I unlocked the door, he bolted down the hall towards the office yelling, "Hurry mommy, hurry."

I opened my laptop and typed in the URL. Biddy climbed into my lap. According to the Kick Start SF homepage they offer classes for two-year-olds but in reading further–Tiny Tigers, the youngest class, caters to three and four-year-olds only. What's the deal? Can Biddy be a Tiny Tiger? Biddy wants to be a Tiny Tiger! I want Biddy to be a Tiny Tiger too primarily so I can see how cute he looks in gi and white obi. We emailed them and are waiting for a reply. Think good "tigery" thoughts and we'll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment